Commissioned by the SADC Secretariat through the support of the Federal Republic of Germany (BMZ), in delegated cooperation with the UK Department for International Development and the Australian Agency for Internal Development (AusAID) the IWRM pilot project in Mariental was coordinated at the national level by the Department of Water Affairs (DWA) in the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Forestry (MAWF). At the Local Level the project was implemented through the Mariental Municipality Local Economic Development division.
The project implementation phase started with community mobilization then moved to community assessment and ended with community planning. The result of this process was a document titled: The Local Water Development and Management Plan (LWDMP). The LWDMP identified the listed interventions to be prioritized for implementation:
- Installation of rainwater harvesting systems at the six pilot schools in Mariental
- The establishment or upgrading of gardens at these six pilot schools
- The installation of demonstration kits for aquaponics and hydroponics
- The installation of water saving devices to selected public and private spaces. Some of the installed devices include dual flush toilets. water efficient taps and low flow shower heads
- Consultancy on the viability of wastewater re-use at the Mariental Ponds
- Various capacity building sessions in Mariental. One of these was facilitated by the DRFN from 23 to 24 June 2015 as well as a Water Policy Dialogue on the 25th of June 2015
The prioritized infrastructure components of the project were designed to directly improve community livelihoods and focus on initiatives such as integrated water supply and storage, climate change proofing and small scale food gardens, among others.
The project community coordinators Bernadette Shalumbu and Ulrich Davis officially handed over the project to the six pilot schools on 30 July 2015 marking the end of the project.
For more information of the Mariental IWRM Pilot project please contact:
SADC Water Division
Plot 54385 CBD SquarePrivate Bag 0095
+267 395 1863 Ext 1643
GIZ Transboundary Water Management in SADC
Private bag X12